Testing Stations

Selling a car

Selling a car

Some tips and advice to help you sell your car.


Make sure:

  • You’ve paid all your outstanding Vehicle Licence fees or the Road User Charges (RUC) are up-to-date. This can be done at your local VINZ branch.
  • You’ve vehicle has a Warrant of Fitness (WoF) that is no more than one month old when the buyer takes possession. Visit your local VINZ branch to obtain a WoF. Vehicles without a current WoF must be advertised for sale “as is, where is’ but you’ll need to obtain a written promise from the buyer that they will only drive the car to get repairs or a WoF.
  • You let the NZ Transport Agency know immediately of the sale. You can do this at your local VINZ branch. If you don’t, you may receive the new registered person’s vehicle fines or parking tickets. If you sell your vehicle to a dealer, confirm they’ll complete the paperwork for you.
  • You have your Certificate of Registration handy as the buyer may want confirmation that you’re the official owner of the vehicle, before committing to buying your car.

Change of ownership

When the Motor Vehicle Register is updated, you’ll be sent an acknowledgment letter from the NZ Transport Agency.

Check the NZ Transport Agency website for more information.